Join in the conversations on the latest business, politics, socio-economic happenings in Nigeria and the rest of the world here.
- Namibian teen invents Sim-less and Airtime-less phone
Simon Petrus, a Namibian teenager has created a mobile phone that works with radio frequencies, no sim card nor airtime credit required. Phone calls can be made to anyone, anywhere, without interruptions, as long as they are done in an area with radio frequency. See more here.
- Delta militants and their quest explained
Find here everything you need to know about Delta Millitants, and their quest for secession.
- Earthquake in Italy kills 280 people
At least 280 people were killed after a 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck central Italy Wednesday, according to Italy’s Civil Protection Department. See here for more.
- US Open begins today
Bets are on Novak Djokovic will look to win his third US Open title, while Serena Williams gets her 23rd Slam with the tournament beginning today. Check here for live tv coverage.
- BHS closes down after 88 years
The last few BHS stores have closed their doors for the final time, ending an 88-year presence on the High Street. See here for more on why they shut down.
- Nigerian Banks banned from forex
Nigerian Banks have been accused of not remitting the $2.3 billion belonging to the Federal Government into the Treasury Single Account,have alleged a cover-up by the Central Bank of Nigeria, and therefore have been banned from participating in foreign exchange. Read more here.
- Turkey kills 25 people in Syria
- Mark Zuckerburg visits Lagos: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is visiting Lagos, Nigeria, on his first trip to sub-Saharan Africa, and it looks as if he’s having a blast. So far he’s visited a camp that teaches kids how to code, gone on a run through the city, and hosted a Q&A with local entrepreneurs. He even crashed a Nigerian hip-hop music video. See more about what he’s been up to here
- Lagos- Calabar railway in the works The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has given an assurance that the Calabar-Port Harcourt Coastal rail line and the Lagos-Kano rail modernisation project would be completed before the end of 2018. Looks like more trips to Obudu Cattle Ranch for us! See more here